Re: DigitalOcean offers VMs with FreeBSD!

From: Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie_at_dyslexicfish.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 06:05:07 +0000
Bernhard Fröhlich <decke_at_bluelife.at> wrote:

> I had a quick look at it and the result is
> quite poor considering the time it took them to get it done.
>
> They had to install quite a few packages (perl, python27, libX11, avahi
> ...) and modified the stock FreeBSD image quite a bit. At startup they send
> an arping otherwise you do not even have network access in their network.
> This looks all a bit hackish and error prone. I am really wondering how
> long it will take that a regular update breaks their scripts and let's you
> back with a non accessible box.

I use http://www.vultr.com/ for FreeBSD - their packages are similarly or
better priced than DO.

With Vultr, you can run their automated install, (which in itself just
automates a typical FreeBSD install - there are no OS hacks) or just
install off an ISO etc.

I don't know what's unusual with the DO virtualisation, but vultr just
works like a normal server (though they do restrict to virtio devices
where applicable rather than emulated harware)

You can even install a windows ISO (as long as you've sideloaded virtio
drivers onto the install disk), or with FreeBSD, "it just works"

Cheers, Jamie