Re: [RFC] kern/kern_timeout.c rewrite in progress

From: Jason Wolfe <nitroboost_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 12:11:08 -0700
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org> wrote:
> On 01/14/15 15:31, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>>
>> On 01/11/15 19:08, Jason Wolfe wrote:
>>>
>>> Hans,
>>>
>>> We've had 50 machines running 10.1-STABLE with this patch for the
>>> better part of a week without issue.  Prior we would have seen a panic
>>> every few days at the least, so things are looking very promising on
>>> our front.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've updated D1438 including the manual page changes needed for
>> timeout.9 aswell in addition to a minor fix for those using timeout()
>> and untimeout() and KTR().
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D1438
>>
>> --HPS
>

> FYI:
>
> Now in -current:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/277213
>
> Thanks for all good comments and reviews.
>
> --HPS

HPS,

Just to give a quick status update, this patch has most certainly
resolved our spin lock held too long panics on stable/10.

Thank you to JHB for spending some time digging into the issue and
leading us to td_slpcallout as the culprit, and HPS for your rewrite.
I had heard rumors of other being affected by similar issues, so this
seems like a fine candidate for an MFC if possible.

Jason