Re: [RFC] kern/kern_timeout.c rewrite in progress

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:18:27 +0100
On 01/17/15 20:11, Jason Wolfe wrote:

> HPS,
>
> Just to give a quick status update, this patch has most certainly
> resolved our spin lock held too long panics on stable/10.
>
> Thank you to JHB for spending some time digging into the issue and
> leading us to td_slpcallout as the culprit, and HPS for your rewrite.
> I had heard rumors of other being affected by similar issues, so this
> seems like a fine candidate for an MFC if possible.
>
> Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm glad to hear that my patch has resolved your issue and I'm happy we
now have a more stable system.

It was actually a co-worker at work which wrote some bad code which I
started debugging which then lead me to look at the callout subsystem.
One bug kills the other ;-)

I'm planning a MFC to 10-stable - yes, and will possibly add the
_callout_stop_safe() function to not break binary compatibility with
existing drivers as part of the MFC.

--HPS