Re: pmspcv panic on boot on this box

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 06:50:16 +0000
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 01:33:32AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On 2015-07-30 23:21, Glen Barber wrote:

> >>Larry, I am sorry this is causing headaches for you, and I certainly
> >>appreciate the prompt (and detailed) report, and assistance debugging
> >>this.
> >>
> >>Would you be able to try one more test case?
> >>
> >>I'm interested in the behavior without the 'nodevice pmsdrv' addition to
> >>your kernel configuration (effectively, removing the device from the
> >>GENERIC kernel), and *without* the patch provided from Benno?
> >>

> >To be more specific on what I'm interested in, 'nodevice pmsdrv' and
> >'device pmsdrv' should *both* be removed from the kernel configuration,
> >and the pms(4) should only be available as a .ko module.
> >
> >>In particular, I'm interested in if ahd(4) attaches or if loader(8)
> >>auto-loads pms(4) after the PCI IDs are detected.
> >>
> >>As this issue also affects the upcoming 10.2-RELEASE, your willingness
> >>to help debug this is greatly appreciated, as you've tripped over
> >>something that would have caused a great deal of pain after 10.2 was
> >>release.
> >>
> >>I owe you several beers.
> >>

> >Glen
> My kernel is based on GENERIC (I.E. include GENERIC).
> With the nodedevice pmspcv, after boot, if I kldload pmspcv, NO PANIC.

Okay.  I'm interested in the behavior if the pmspcv is removed entirely
(no 'nodevice' or 'device' entry).

> Unfortunately, I've got a funeral to go to in Dallas (~150Mi away from home)
> today, Friday, and will
> not be back until late Saturday (US/CDT, GMT-5).

My condolences.  :(

I'm going to be occupied testing the 10.2-RC2 (while taking into account
the pms(4) issue), so no worries regarding getting back to me.  There
was another report as well, so I'll parallelize as needed.

> I can probably help someone with this on Sunday, but would appreciate a
> real-tome conversation, as the box in question is at
> a COLO facility, and does NOT have IPMI, so I need to be physically there.
>
> Where in the world are you located, Glen?

I'm in Pennsylvania.  I'll email you my phone number off-list when you
return if that is helpful for debugging, and we can try to streamline
this.

Deal with the non-computer stuff first though, please.

Glen