Re: What to do about RCS/OpenRCS

From: Xin Li <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 13:20:15 -0700

On 05/07/15 12:09, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello;
>
> Some of you might recall that right before 10.0-Release there was a
> painful attempt to remove GNU RCS from the base system.
>
> From my point of view, the lessons learned from that were:
>
> -A lot more people than you might think find it useful to have a
> small version control system for thing like the files in /etc.
> -Just removing features without a discussion is not wise. -IMHO,
> people wondering about the bloat in the OS should focus on other
> bigger VCS we carry, namely svn.
>
> For all I know, it looks like OpenRCS is the most viable option and
> can completely replace the old RCS we have in base.

I have objected this in 2013 because OpenRCS did not pass GNU RCS's
test suite:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-October/045185.
html

More specifically:

+ : -Dhas_conf_h
+ : cc
+ : diff
+ CL='cc -Dhas_conf_h  -o a.out'
+ L=''
+ RCSINIT=-x
+ export RCSINIT
+ SLASH=/
+ RCSfile=RCS/a.c
+ RCS_alt=RCS/a.d
+ lockfile=RCS/a._
+ q=-q
+ test -d RCS
+ rmdir=rmdir
+ mkdir RCS
+ rm -f 'a.*' RCS/a.c RCS/a.d RCS/a._
+ echo 1.1
+ echo 1.1.1.1
+ echo 1.2
+ diff -c a.11 a.3x1
+ diff='diff -c'
+ rcs -i -L -ta.11 -q a.c
+ test -r RCS/a.c
+ rlog a.c
+ rm -f RCS/a.c
+ cp a.11 a.c
+ ci -ta.11 -mm -q a.c
+ test -r RCS/a.c
+ rcs -L -q a.c
+ test ! -f a.c
+ co -q a.c
+ test -f a.c
+ diff -c a.11 a.c
+ co -l -q a.c
+ test -f a.c
+ diff -c a.11 a.c
+ cp a.12 a.c
+ ci -mm -q a.c
+ co -q a.c
+ diff -c a.12 a.c
+ rm -f a.c
+ co -r1.1 -q a.c
+ diff -c a.11 a.c
+ rm -f a.c
+ cp a.3x1 a.c
+ ci -r1.1.1 -mm -q a.c
ci: RCS/a.c: no lock set by delphij
+ echo '#branches failed'
#branches failed
+ exit 1

The checkout as of today ported to FreeBSD still does not pass the
test cases, so I still object the replacement unless the issues have
been taken care of.

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die