Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:07:58 +0100
On 10-11-2015 11:55, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
 > Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl> writes:
 >> I know I've installed the ports once to see if, and how I would be
 >> able to add more IP-address infor to some of the warnings and
 >> errors. And then to get thos errors recognised by tools like sshguard
 >> and fail2ban.
 >
 > Do you mean logging IP addresses instead of hostnames?  Just turn off
 > UseDNS.  It is off by default since 6.8.

No not really....
Digging in my logfiles .... , and its things like:
  sshd[84942]: Disconnecting: Too many authentication failures [preauth]

So errors/warnings without IP-nr.

And I think I fixed it on one server to also write:
error: maximum authentication attempts exceeded for root from
173.254.203.88 port 1042 ssh2 [preauth]

Which when I found out that upstreaming patches from base will be hard,
because the whole logging in the ports version is totally different.

 > If you mean adding IP addresses or hostnames to messages that don't
 > already have them, try suggesting it on the openssh-portable mailing
 > list (openssh-unix-dev_at_mindrot.org).

Are they still willing to accept changes to the old version that is
currently in base?

--WjW