Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: Jason Birch <jbirch_at_jbirch.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 19:55:35 +1100
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com> wrote:
> If you have a trusted network, why not just use nc?

Perhaps more generally relevant is that ssh/scp are *waves hands* vaguely
analogous to secure versions of rsh/rlogin/rcp. I'd think that most cases
of "I wanted to send files and invoke some commands on a remote machine,
and due to $CIRCUMSTANCE I don't need or desire encryption" are covered
by the older, also standard tools. Additionally, rsync can use rsh as its
transport, for users who desire more advanced behaviour. ssh just seems
to have more support; Installation will ask you if you'd like to run sshd
(not rshd), ssh is rather ubiquitous as a way of "doing a thing remotely"
(even in Windows soon!), etc. This is a good default to have; the
overhead of security is tiny in nearly all cases.

It would seem then that the extra complexity of maintenance development
in supporting NONE in base doesn't really grant us any additional
functionality in most cases. It's just more 'obvious'.