Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:49:52 +0200
It is my understanding, that using the NONE cypher is not identical to using “the old tools” (rsh/rlogin/rcp).

When ssh uses the NONE cypher, credentials and authorization are still encrypted and verified. Only the actual data payload is not encrypted.

Perhaps similar level of security could be achieved by “the old tools” if they were by default compiled with Kerberos. Although, this still requires building additional infrastructure.

I must have missed the explanation. But why having a NONE cypher compiled in, but disabled in the configuration is a bad idea?

Daniel