Re: OpenSSH HPN

From: Aaron Zauner <azet_at_azet.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:29:44 +0100
Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance but what's the reason FreeBSD ships
OpenSSH patched with HPN by default? Besides my passion for
security, I've been working in the HPC sector for a while and
benchmarked the patch for a customer about 1.5 years ago. The
CTR-multi threading patch is actually *slower* than upstream OpenSSH
with AES in CTR mode. GCM being, of course, the fastest mode on
AESNI plattforms.

The NULL mode is a security concern as some have noted, I can only
imagine that the window-scaling patch is of such importance?

Thanks,
Aaron