Re: is building kernel in /sys/amd64/conf depreciated in 11 ?

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:55:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015, John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as subject - is building kernel in /sys/amd64/conf depreciated?
>
> I can get a modified kernel to build and install in /usr/src but not
> in /sys/amd64/conf. I always used to be able to do this in there, then
> again I either used -RELEASE or -STABLE. I used to do it like this:
>
> 1. cd /sys/amd64/conf
> 2. cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> 3. [make changes to MYKERNEL and save]
> 4. config MYKERNEL
> 5. cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
> 6. make cleandepend && make depend && make
>
> This fails *every time* during make. It fails at this point:
>
> Make[1]: "/storage/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1204: UNAME_r

Why is your kernel build pulling in bsd.port.mk?  Please post src.conf and
make.conf.

> (11.0-CURRENT) and OSVERSION () do not agree on major version number.
>       *** [all] Error code 1
>              make: stopped in /storage/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/PUMPKIN
> The error still happens if I refresh all my sources, build a new world
> with a generic kernel and reboot and then try the old method again.
>
> I *can* build a custom kernel if I cd into /usr/src and do
>
> 1. make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> 2. make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
> Basically I'm asking is this change of behaviour documented and/or am
> I doing it wrong?

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but buildkernel has been
the preferred way to build a kernel for at least four major releases.  The
manual-config method has limped along because enough of the old-guard of
committers has it in finger memory, but manual-config has been excised
from the handbook for quite some time.

-Ben