Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:43:59 +0100
On 17 Sep 2015, at 11:31, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes_at_brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> Anyway, I wish the foundation would support the graphics team by sponsoring this development…

The Foundation did fund a lot of this work, and likely will again.  The problem is not willingness of the Foundation to fund it, nor availability of funds.  As with WiFi, it’s availability of people who have both the competence and interest to do the work and the availability to work as consultants for the Foundation.

Long term, the real solution is to convince GPU vendors to put as much effort into funding FreeBSD driver development as they do into funding Linux and Windows driver development.  The Foundation has been reaching out in this direction, but it’s far more compelling if people can document cases where lack of FreeBSD support has cost a vendor sales.  If you’ve bought a system with an nVidia or AMD GPU (or, ideally, if your company has bought a few thousand) because of lack of FreeBSD support from Intel, then let Intel know.

David