Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 09:13:33 -0400
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:43:59PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:

  On 17 Sep 2015, at 11:31, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes_at_brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

  > Anyway, I wish the foundation would support the graphics team by sponsoring this development…

  The Foundation did fund a lot of this work, and likely will again.  The problem is not
  willingness of the Foundation to fund it, nor availability of funds.

I was not aware of this and am happy to hear it!

  Long term, the real solution is to convince GPU vendors to put as much effort into
  funding FreeBSD driver development as they do into funding Linux and Windows driver
  development.  The Foundation has been reaching out in this direction,

Glad to hear this too.  It is more comforting to hear.

  but it’s far more compelling if people can document cases where lack of FreeBSD support
  has cost a vendor sales.  If you’ve bought a system with an nVidia or AMD GPU (or,
  ideally, if your company has bought a few thousand) because of lack of FreeBSD support
  from Intel, then let Intel know.

  David

In all seriousness, do you have a suggested contact for us?  I can't offer bulk sales
avoidance but on a personal level I am clinging to a 4.5 year old laptop and would
replace it tomorrow with another higher end model if I had any practical choices for
FreeBSD graphics support.  Even nVidia is not a checkbox solution on laptops because as
far as I understand it you still have to deal with Optimus which cannot simply be
disabled as in the past.  I also have considerable stability problems with the nVidia
driver on my desktops and I will be reporting it very soon after some debugging.  Thanks.