Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:12:15 +0200
Am Thu, 17 Sep 2015 15:48:09 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> schrieb:

> El día Thursday, September 17, 2015 a las 10:41:43PM +0900, Lundberg, Johannes escribió:
>
> > Same here. I would personally definitely buy new hardware from Intel if
> > FreeBSD worked on it (not vesa...)
>
> What dow you have against vesa? I run CURRENT on some Acer C720
> Chromebooks with Haswell chipset in Vesa mode. And you will not note it.
> I have never ever had such a fast desktop (KDE4) before. I can live fine
> with Vesa until Haswell suport is there.
>
> 	matthias

At what resolution? I have some Lenovo Thinkpad E540, L540. Display resolution:
1980x1080 dots. CPU: Intel i5-4200M, Haswell with HD4600 iGPU. The laptops do not work
with VESA driver - despite some claims of others, I never managed it to get the driver
working on exactly those system types!

The alternative framebuffer device is simply horror!

I was used to use VESA driver a while ago when FreeBSD fell back in AMD's focus of
support with some AMD HD47XX and HD48XX frambuffers. Compared to the cheapest nVidia GPU
board we plugged in then and the nVidia BLOB, VESA was incredibly slow, clumsy and not
very stable. That hasn't changed for now. GPUs got faster, so VESA might not suffer from
non 2D/3D acceleration, but I never managed it to bring VESA to live for resolutions
like 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 and even higher. That is - for a desktop/workstation system
- in my opinion "a must". For a notebook/laptop its 1980x1080. Everything else is a toy
and for that one can also use crap Windooze OS.

Having now Ubuntu and Intel driver for the laptops, there is no need for slow
workarounds like VESA.