Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:24:50 -0400
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 05:12:15PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am Thu, 17 Sep 2015 15:48:09 +0200
> Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> schrieb:
>
> > El d??a Thursday, September 17, 2015 a las 10:41:43PM +0900, Lundberg, Johannes escribi??:
> >
> > > Same here. I would personally definitely buy new hardware from Intel if
> > > FreeBSD worked on it (not vesa...)
> >
> > What dow you have against vesa? I run CURRENT on some Acer C720
> > Chromebooks with Haswell chipset in Vesa mode. And you will not note it.
> > I have never ever had such a fast desktop (KDE4) before. I can live fine
> > with Vesa until Haswell suport is there.
> >
> > 	matthias
>
> At what resolution? I have some Lenovo Thinkpad E540, L540. Display resolution:
> 1980x1080 dots. CPU: Intel i5-4200M, Haswell with HD4600 iGPU. The laptops do not work
> with VESA driver - despite some claims of others, I never managed it to get the driver
> working on exactly those system types!

VESA's working fine for me, albeit slowly with YouTube videos, on my
Lenovo Y50-70 at 1920x1080. I was running KDE4 before, but have since
switched to i3wm for better hax efficiency.

> The alternative framebuffer device is simply horror!
>
> I was used to use VESA driver a while ago when FreeBSD fell back in AMD's focus of
> support with some AMD HD47XX and HD48XX frambuffers. Compared to the cheapest nVidia GPU
> board we plugged in then and the nVidia BLOB, VESA was incredibly slow, clumsy and not
> very stable. That hasn't changed for now. GPUs got faster, so VESA might not suffer from
> non 2D/3D acceleration, but I never managed it to bring VESA to live for resolutions
> like 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 and even higher. That is - for a desktop/workstation system
> - in my opinion "a must". For a notebook/laptop its 1980x1080. Everything else is a toy
> and for that one can also use crap Windooze OS.
>
> Having now Ubuntu and Intel driver for the laptops, there is no need for slow
> workarounds like VESA.

Sounds like you have a solution for now. I'm excited for Haswell support
to land. I applaud dumbbell for his efforts. I'm eagerly awaiting the
CFT that will come out relatively soon.

If you're impatient and want it now, I suggest taking a look at that
code on GitHub that was posted in an earlier email on this thread. Fork
it, hax it, then submit a pull request. Have an active part. Make your
voice be heard through code contributions.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE