Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 18:35:25 +0200
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:12:04 +0200
Stefan Wendler <stefan.wendler_at_tngtech.com> wrote:

> On Friday 18 September 2015 15:57:10 Michael Gmelin wrote:
> > > On 18 Sep 2015, at 15:33, Stefan Wendler
> > > <stefan.wendler_at_tngtech.com>
> > >
> > > I cannot run HEAD because I need a stable system for work. Will
> > > there be a package for FreeBSD 10? I really want to get rid of my
> > > crappy b/g usb stick.
> > Unlikely, as it involved some breaking changes to smbus we can't do
> > within a major release. Many other changes might work on 10 (like
> > memory detection, smbinfo quirks and changes to atkbd). You could
> > of course keep the breaking changes in a separate patch set (those
> > enable light sensor and touch pad).
> Alright. So I hope for 11 stable to arrive asap ;)

11-STABLE is almost a year away.

I backported the patches to 10.2-RELEASE, which was quite easy.

You can find the patch against releng/10.2 and a short howto here:
http://blog.grem.de/sysadmin/FreeBSD-10.2-On-AcerC720-2015-09-19-17-00.html

The following tests were performed using the resulting memstick image:
 - Boot from USB into installer
 - Select "Live CD"
 - Test trackpad:
   kldload ig4
   kldload cyapa
   moused -p /dev/cyapa0
 - Test light sensor (it's located above the F2 key):
   kldload isl
   sysctl dev.isl.0
 - Test wireless:
   mount -rw /
   sysrc wlans_ath0=wlan0
   sysrc ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
   cat >/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf <<EOF
   network={
     ssid="YOURSSID"
     psk="YOURSECRET"
   }
   EOF
   service netif restart
   ping 141.1.1.1

All these tests were successful, so installing it on SSD should work
as well. I didn't do a long term test, so I can't say much about
stability. The howto links to the C720 page, which has more details on
configuring the system.

In case you want to test this without going through the hassle
of building the disk image yourself, you can find the one I used for
testing here:

http://blog.grem.de/bits/releng102c720.img.xz
SHA256: c29afdf019ecc0d257a63ec5770f7c74767f8f524dae836cf22e7c221152bd7d

- Michael

--
Michael Gmelin