RE: FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT Single User Keymap

From: Brendan Sechter <sgeos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:23:23 +0900
> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:05:29 +0900
> From: junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp
> To: freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT Single User Keymap
>
> When booting to single user mode, no rc scripts are executed.
> So rc.conf is NOT processed at all and keymap setting is not applied.
>
> What I do in single user mode is as follows.
>
> &kbdcontrol -r fast -l jp.kbd
>
> I'm using vt, and fast keyrate. If you prefer sc, and do not want fast
> keyrate, try below.
>
> &kbdcontrol -l jp.106.kbd
>
> No interactive inputs needed. No writes to drives.

The following also works and it is easier for me to remember.

service syscons start

Disabling kbdmux allows the system to boot into single user mode
with a custom keymap if the kernel is compiled with the below kernel
configuration options.  I prefer this solution because I do not need to
patch anything, nor do I need to enter a command to use my
preferred keymap.