Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:24:17 -0700
On 2016-04-18 8:17 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Can someone on the "too many packages" campaign here explain to me how
> having too fine a granularity stops you from making macro packages
> containing packages?
>
> Because honestly I can't see how having granularity hurts at all when if
> someone wanted to make it less granular all they would have to do is
> make some meta-packages.

It's the *I have to put it back together* part that's annoying.  I
didn't break something that has worked, forever.  It shouldn't be
incumbent on me to un-break someone else's work.

Now if the system ships with each-file-in-a-package, fine.  Just give me
gross subsets that make my life as a sysadmin liveable.   E.g., base
POSIX functionality should be a 'group' package.  And I would hope, the
default installation package.  I would go for the argument that, e.g.,
the dev stuff (cc, yacc, lex) could be split off, but at least include
the headers that match what's in /lib and /usr/lib, in a compiler
agnostic set.  Since the point of packages is to allow for selections of
optional software.

--lyndon