Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:37:18 +0200
Lyndon Nerenberg wrote on 04/19/2016 05:24:
> On 2016-04-18 8:17 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Can someone on the "too many packages" campaign here explain to me how
>> having too fine a granularity stops you from making macro packages
>> containing packages?
>>
>> Because honestly I can't see how having granularity hurts at all when if
>> someone wanted to make it less granular all they would have to do is
>> make some meta-packages.

Meta-packages doesn't hide anything (in list of packages and problems
with dependencies)

> It's the *I have to put it back together* part that's annoying.  I
> didn't break something that has worked, forever.  It shouldn't be
> incumbent on me to un-break someone else's work.

+1

And you made another good point in previous e-mail about reviewed
research. I would really like to see some docs about this topic. I have
a feeling that some work on FreeBSD is against average users / admins
and is good only for vedors of specialized or embedded devices.

As many before - I am not against packaging base. It is good, but 10 -
20 packages will be enough. 800+ is too far from my feeling of "this is
good feature".
This seems like a nightmare to me. This was one of the reasons I don't
like other OS distribuitions and I stayed with FreeBSD for more than 15
years.

Miroslav Lachman