Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Edward Tomasz Napierała <trasz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:36:43 +0200
On 0421T2348, Dan Partelly wrote:
> Yes, you are right it misses the media change handler  in devd.conf.
> maybe it should bementioned somewhere in a man page if it is not
> already there. Thanks for the pointer.

It's mentioned in a comment in auto_master file.  But yeah, mentioning
it in a manual page seems like a good idea.

> Anyway, if I would have written the system, what I would have done
> is to consolidate both user mode daemons into one and make this
> daemon a client of devd, fstyp a library, and handle all removable
> media inside transparent to the user, without requiring any modifications
>  to devd.conf, and without relaying on shell scripts.
>
> Is there any reason you did not took this approach ? This is not
> criticism, I am genuinely interested.

Yes - I actually like shell scripts.  I like being able to provide
the glue in a way that's easy to debug and modify, without having
to rebuild anything, so that it can be tailored to specific needs
by the system administrator.

In this case the problem, I think, is not with the shell scripting.
It's just that it doesn't "enable itself" when needed, or isn't
just enabled by default.

> >  and simply
> > retrofit the changes back to autofs - but that hasn't happened (yet).
>
> Please consider doing it.  A kevent on /media would allow other programs
> to see how volumes come and go, and I can imagine several situations
> where this can be handy. And too many directories left there do become
> annoying.

Well, you have devd notifications for this - and it gives you much more
flexibility.