Re: A question about updating src & ports

From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:44:20 +0100
Am Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:11:38 +0800
blubee blubeeme <gurenchan_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> Howdy
>
> I went through the process of building world for the first time, that was
> interesting but I got it. svn clean up prior object files, build world,
> kernel, etc.
>
> Okay that part is fine
>
> I have a question about keeping ports up to date, in the past I did
> portsnap fetch update to update the ports but since I totally deleted all
> the ports and used svn checkout to get the latest ports.
>
> Can I mix portsnap fetch update or should I just continue to use svn update
> /usr/ports
>
> Best,
> Owen

Well,

from my own experience I left the path of "portsnap" and stay with svn alone. portsnap
tends to "flood" the /var filesystem with a tremendous number of files over time. Each
time you issue "portsnap fetch update", a file appears in /var/portsnap - it could be
that the files appear in /var/db, I can't remember. Deleting them with "rm -rf *" leaves
me then with an error from "rm": the argument line is to long due to the number of files.
Therefore, I switched to svn.

Well, svn itself is pumping up /usr/ports/.svn where it keeps all logs. Depending on the
frequency of updates it grows. I do the same for /usr/src and by the time of fetching
almost every day several times a day updates, the folder .svn is as large
as /usr/src itself in its pristine state when fetched initially. For
long-haul/long-running systems I'm concerned about the flood of data coming in and
sometimes the filesystem is full. I avoid ZFS on build machines and use partitions
for /usr/src, /usr/obj and sibblings which saved my ass several times for now. ZFS is a
memory hog, on /usr/ports (which is on ZFS in mz scenario, the exclusion ...), a "svn
update" can take up to 8 minutes on a 16GB, freshly rebooted box with a 3,4 Ghz XEON
IvyBridge CPU and a ZFS RAIDZ with 4 HDDs and SSD for ZIL and L2ARC.

On the other hand - I once tried to mix portsnap and svn and apart from any theory it
worked a while and then it failed. That might be due to non-synchronisation between
portsnap serving facilities and subversion repositories - which I would expect not to be
in sync withing femto seconds. So it might be wise to saty with one specific method - I
decided myself to keep it with svn.

Just my experience,

Kind regards,

Oliver

--
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).