Re: UTF-8 by default?

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 21:08:41 +0200
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:38:14PM +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 04:07:41PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> > > At least according to one of my students (who makes more extensive use of
> > > i18n than I do), enabling UTF-8 by default is pretty straightforward:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/musec/freebsd/wiki/Common-setup#utf-8-support
> >
> > the LC_COLLATE=C is not needed anymore with freebsd 11+
> > >
> > > If there's anything missing there, I'd love to hear about it.
> > >
> >   - unicode support in our old groff is pretty bad, I plan to replace it with
> >     heirloom-doctools which does handle unicode propertly (as far I have tested
> >     at least)
>
> I haven't really been paying attention lately so things might have changed,
> but why can't we just remove groff now? We have mdocml, and for people that
> really need the groff functionality can just install it or heirloom-doctools
> from ports. The initial plan was to remove groff after we imported mdocml, but
> it was never removed and I lost interest, so again, things might have changed
> since then.

We have roff documentation in based, plus a lot of people argues that not havin
a roff toolchain in base is an issue for them.

heirloom doctools upstream is friendly, they fixed all the bugs I reported or
merged my fixes if needed, they have a good compatibility so the fallback in
man(1) could be done on something in base if mandoc cannot render properly some
manpages.

Upstream is CDDL but all new code is BSD licensed.

Importing is not hard, just need some motivation to finish all the required
makefiles :)

Best regards,
Bapt