Re: UTF-8 by default?

From: Tim Čas <darkuranium_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 21:22:23 +0200
On 20 July 2016 at 20:33, Don Lewis <truckman_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> wc(1) has problems with its multibyte support pointed out by Coverity
> as I recall.

Not sure how critical that issue is (e.g. byte counts [`-c`], line
counts [`-l`], and such should still work as intended; whether word
counts work or not depends on whether we should count Unicode
whitespace as, well, whitespace). I do wonder if everyone agrees that
an effort should be made towards UTF-8 default, though?

I'm willing to contribute some of my time to fixing these bugs, but I
don't think I can fix *all* of this by myself. I guess wc(1) is as
good a start as any, but I'd first like to talk to whoever is the
maintainer for that bit of code, as I've never done any work in base
before (only in ports).