Re: Suddenly poweroff in 11-Current r300097

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 22:46:54 +0200
Am Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:26:22 -0700
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org> wrote:
>
> > On 06/02/16 03:07, RayCherng Yu wrote:
> >
> >> I got a suddenly poweroff in r300097 (and previous revision in April and
> >> May) when I built textproc/docproj.
> >> My machine is Macbook Pro 13 2011 early. I have checked the Apple website.
> >> My bios is the latest version.
> >> Actually it also happened in 10.3-STABLE.
> >> It happened when the machine load was heavy. Before it shutdown, the fan
> >> started to run very loudly. After several seconds (20 or 30 seconds), my
> >> laptop shutdown (poweroff directly) suddenly. It seems not happen with the
> >> AC power supply connected.
> >>
> >> I installed both Mac OSX and FreeBSD (dual boot). It never happened in Mac
> >> OSX.
> >>
> >> My dmesg:
> >> http://pastebin.com/QjZmbGCB
> >>
> >> My sysctl hw.acpi:
> >>
> >> hw.acpi.acline: 0
> >> hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
> >> hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
> >> hw.acpi.battery.state: 1
> >> hw.acpi.battery.time: 87
> >> hw.acpi.battery.life: 59
> >> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C8
> >> hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
> >> hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 1
> >> hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
> >> hw.acpi.verbose: 0
> >> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
> >> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
> >> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> >> hw.acpi.standby_state: NONE
> >> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> >> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
> >> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> >> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Do you have a temperature sysctl? Usually FreeBSD will shutdown the system
> > if the ACPI temperature exceeds some value. Maybe it would be better to
> > reduce the CPU load when the temperature goes up instead of facing a
> > shutdown?
> >
> > --HPS
>

> The relevant information is probably found in dev.cpu. That is where all
> temperature information is located as it is per-CPU, not per-system. Of
> particular interest is dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest, dev.cpu.0.cx_supported, and
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels. A snapshot of dev.cpu.0 when the fan has cranked up,
> but before shutdown would be nice, too.
>
> I see no hw.acpi.thermal information. This is very odd. These values
> indicate what the system will do and is doing if it starts getting too hot.
>
> Is coretemp loaded? It is required to see the core temperatures and those
> are almost certainly significant. It may account for the lack of thermal
> information. Finally, a dmesg might be useful as it will tell us more about
> just what thermal control techniques are enabled.
>
> Just to explain a bit on how this should work: when the temperature exceeds
> some BIOS defined point, the system should "throttle" by pausing one of
> every 8 clock cycles. If that does not fix the problem, the it rests for
> [...]

I have had such  problems many times with older hardware. In most cases "dried out"
 thermal conductive pad or grease was the reason overheating the CPU du to a ineffective
thermal conductivity from the CPU's surface to the heat spreader/cooler. I had recently
two laptops with such a phenomenon - using high-quality thermal grease solved the problem
for my. In both cases, the former high-viscous thermal grease has become like dry mud.
Same with pads.