Re: HEADS UP: caution required with updates using custom kernels

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 17:17:14 +0200
Am Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:35:44 +0300
Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 01:18:06PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:02:38 +0300
> > Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> > > getpid() is another instance.
> >
> > That all is a nice explanation, but how to recover from a broken system, on which the
> > order of installation wasn't performed the right way?
>
> Copy the libc.so.7 binary from the build area to /lib manually, e.g. using
> rescue shell.

I did so, but there is no effect.

Whenever I try to build a kernel/world, I receive this from the shell:

root_at_localhost: [src] make update
*** Signal 12

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
.ERROR_TARGET='update'
.ERROR_META_FILE=''
.MAKE.LEVEL='0'
MAKEFILE=''
.MAKE.MODE='normal'
.CURDIR='/usr/src'
.MAKE='make'
.OBJDIR='/usr/obj/usr/src'
.TARGETS='update'
DESTDIR=''
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=''
MACHINE='amd64'
MACHINE_ARCH='amd64'
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX='/usr/obj'
MAKESYSPATH='/usr/src/share/mk'
MAKE_VERSION='20160606'
PATH='/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin'
SRCTOP='/usr/src'
OBJTOP='/usr/obj/usr/src'

These two machines in question are victims "of the early adopter" - the warning came way
too late! At work, I did the same update - but I did an installworld prior to the usual
installkernel - and everything seems so far to work, even without COMAPT_FREEBSD10 in the
kernel.

Is there a way to salvage the situation without relying on "customized" third party
kernels?

I usually use /bin/csh - so this might be of use.

Thank you in advance for help, kind regards,

Oliver