Re: limits: setrlimit umtxp: Invalid argument

From: Florian Ermisch <florian.ermisch_at_alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 18:45:37 +0100
Am 9. März 2016 16:59:47 MEZ, schrieb Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>:
> On 03/09/2016 09:49, Brendan Sechter wrote:
> > I am running an 11.0-CURRENT VM.
> > After recently updating, the following appears on startup and
> > dhclient fails to start.
> >
> > Starting dhclient.
> > limits: setrlimit umtxp: Invalid argument
> > /etc/rc.d/dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient
> >
> > Similar messages appear for the following.
> >
> > devd pflog syslogd ntpd powerd sshd sendmail_submit
> > sendmail_msp_queue cron
> >
> > Reverting to the previous kernel did not resolve the issue.
> > I can manually start dhclient and ntp, but not sshd.
> >
> > I do not trust that my uname information is being updated with
> > with build, but here it is.
> >
> > $ uname -vm
> > FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r287598: Thu Sep 10 14:45:48 JST 2015
> > root_at_:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIRAGE_KERNEL  amd64
>
> This information comes directly from the running kernel, so it looks
> like your kernel is not getting updated.  This seems consistent
> with the above error messages, although I haven't tested this
> case. The userland tools are aware of the newly added umtxp
> limit, but the kernel is not aware.
>
> Eric

I got this problem on my laptop, too. I somehow managed not to
install the kernel during a recent update so my userland is slightly
newer than my 11-CURRENT r292755 kernel (and also forgot to
make proper ZFS snapshots…).

While I can build a newer kernel but when I boot i.e. r296556
`zfs(8)' coredumps and I can't mount anything but the rootfs…
I guess I need to get kernel & userland back in sync to fix this.

I will try to build the userland matching my kernel first as
I know its revision from `uname -a`.
If anyone has a better approach or tips, please let me know.

Regards, Florian