RE: limits: setrlimit umtxp: Invalid argument

From: Brendan Sechter <sgeos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:16:05 +0900
> Subject: Re: limits: setrlimit umtxp: Invalid argument
> From: florian.ermisch_at_alumni.tu-berlin.de
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 18:45:37 +0100
> To: eric_at_vangyzen.net; sgeos_at_hotmail.com; freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Am 9. März 2016 16:59:47 MEZ, schrieb Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>:
>> On 03/09/2016 09:49, Brendan Sechter wrote:
>>> I am running an 11.0-CURRENT VM.
>>> After recently updating, the following appears on startup and
>>> dhclient fails to start.
>>>
>>> Starting dhclient.
>>> limits: setrlimit umtxp: Invalid argument
>>> /etc/rc.d/dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient
>>>
>>> Similar messages appear for the following.
>>>
>>> devd pflog syslogd ntpd powerd sshd sendmail_submit
>>> sendmail_msp_queue cron
>>>
>>> Reverting to the previous kernel did not resolve the issue.
>>> I can manually start dhclient and ntp, but not sshd.
>>>
>>> I do not trust that my uname information is being updated with
>>> with build, but here it is.
>>>
>>> $ uname -vm
>>> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r287598: Thu Sep 10 14:45:48 JST 2015
>>> root_at_:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIRAGE_KERNEL amd64
>>
>> This information comes directly from the running kernel, so it looks
>> like your kernel is not getting updated. This seems consistent
>> with the above error messages, although I haven't tested this
>> case. The userland tools are aware of the newly added umtxp
>> limit, but the kernel is not aware.
>>
>> Eric
>
> I got this problem on my laptop, too. I somehow managed not to
> install the kernel during a recent update so my userland is slightly
> newer than my 11-CURRENT r292755 kernel (and also forgot to
> make proper ZFS snapshots…).
>
> While I can build a newer kernel but when I boot i.e. r296556
> `zfs(8)' coredumps and I can't mount anything but the rootfs…
> I guess I need to get kernel & userland back in sync to fix this.
>
> I will try to build the userland matching my kernel first as
> I know its revision from `uname -a`.
> If anyone has a better approach or tips, please let me know.

My userland was up to date.  This is what I did to get the kernel
in sync enough to resolve the issue.

svn up /usr/src # omit if want to use the exact same version as world
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

I found a problem with my kernel configuration in the process.
The plan is to rebuild everything after the configuration issue is
sorted out.  You may wish to use GENERIC just to get things up
and running again.

Regards,
-Brendan