Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:51:02 +0300
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 03:39:08PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> >> Anything else is on your side and even if I understand your complaints
> >> (and I agree with some of them) I don't thing it will change anything on
> >> the future of packaged base.
> >> So it is better to spend our time on working local solution to new
> >> problem. It has some pros and some cons and I hope the pros will
> >> outweigh cons.
> >
> > I am don't talk 'this is imposible'. I am talk 'this is awkward'.
> > What purpose for paclaging base system? packaging for packaging? Or
> > packaging for simplify and comfortably management, maintance and
> > upgrade?
>
> I hope it will simplified updates. Freebsd-update was so unreliable and
> unpredictable for me that I returned to the "make buildkernel && make

for mee too.

> buildworld" on builder machine and "make installkernel && make
> installworld" through NFS on destinations. And it has some cons too -

currently i am do binary update:

beadm create 10.3-pREV
beadm mount 10.3-pREV /mnt
cd /mnt
find -x . -flags +schg | xargs chflags noschg
fetch -qo - http://HOST/update/doc.txz | tar xf -
fetch -qo - http://HOST/update/kernel.txz | tar xf -
fetch -qo - http://HOST/update/lib32.txz | tar xf -
fetch -qo - http://HOST/update/base.txz | tar xf - --exclude ./boot/device.hints ./COPYRIGHT boot dev media mnt proc tmp bin lib libexec rescue sbin usr var/yp/Makefile.dist
fetch http://HOST/update/etcupdate.tar
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada1
cd /
beadm umount 10.3-pREV
beadm activate 10.3-pREV

> recompile whole system and reinstall on all machines instead of just

I am proposed: patch packages (replaced or removed some files).

> some small package. It has it's impact on size of backups too.

Size of backups?