Re: FreeBSD MachO File format, your comments on it.

From: Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:42:46 +0200
ELF itself is a disaster. Symbol lookup in ELF is process scoped, not
library scoped like Windows's PE and Mac's Mach-O, so same named
symbols from different libraries in the same process (loaded through
any number of levels of indirection) can and do clash, resulting in
memory corruption. This is why hacks like symbol versioning,
RTLD_DEEPBIND on GNU's libc and -Bdirect on Solaris were invented.

We suffer from this problem badly on FreeBSD, as Clang's C++ standard
library and GCC's standard library don't have fully compatible ABIs,
so when both are loaded into the same process and the incompatible C++
features are used -> memory corruption -> crash. Eg. compile Apache
OpenOffice with GCC on a system built with Clang, and you'll see even
the unit tests crash.

This is why I am personally interested in alternatives like Mach-O.

Damjan