Re: Recognizing SMR HDDs

From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:48:56 -0400
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 16:42:10 +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 10:10:14 -0400
> "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 16:00:41 +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > protocol              ATA/ATAPI-9 SATA 3.x
> > > device model          ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z
> > > firmware revision     AR13
> >
> > The firmware is old, the current version is AR17.  You should really ask
> > Seagate for updated firmware.
> >

> The Download Finder on the Seagate site claims that there is no newer
> firmware.
>
> So the question is, how to get the latest AR17 version from Seagate
> as a simple consumer?

I would contact Seagate support and ask.

By the way, I've been able to download firmware for Seagate SATA drives via
camcontrol when they're attached via SATA and SAS controllers.  I've never
tried it with USB.

I think camcontrol identify it as a SCSI protocol drive and as a result
may not let you download firmware because it doesn't recognize vendor
"ST8000AS".

So, assuming you get firmware from them, I would suggest upgrading it using
whatever Windows or Linux tool they give you.  (I'll brick drives in my
lab at work, but I'd hate for you to brick your own drive.)

If you want to use camcontrol to do it, take it out of the USB enclosure
and hook it directly to a SATA or SAS controller.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG