Re: [RFC] remove GNU rcs from FreeBSD 12

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:42:47 +0800
On 3/11/2016 10:45 AM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 11/02/2016 19:17, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> why should we remove it?
>> What will replace it?  it's an integral part of many people's systems.
>>
>> Is there a non gnu RCS with the same features?
>>

> surprised to hear so many people are dependent upon having rcs in
> their base system.  there are options though - for example OpenBSD
> uses OpenRCS in their base:
I don't see what is surprising about it.
It's been common "best practice" for decades to keep all your files in
/etc under source control. RCS fits he bill well and many people have
it in their muscle memory.

> http://man.openbsd.org/rcs.1
>
> its not strictly GNU compliant as I believe it adheres to the
> original implementation (which frankly is probably a good thing
> imho).  GNU RCS is also available via ports/pkgs as well.
>
> If people are adamant about preserving a rcs binary in base though
> this seems like a great opportunity to step up and help
> import/support OpenRCS.

that's ok by me as long as:
1/ it can continue to read all the old data
2/ it works the same (for scripts etc)