Re: [request for testing] isl, cyapa on chromebooks

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 20:45:35 +0200
> On 10 Oct 2016, at 20:27, Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> wrote:
>
>> El día Monday, October 10, 2016 a las 09:26:26AM -0600, Warner Losh escribió:
>>
>> I see no reason not to start the table right away based on
>> smbios.sys.product and other criteria. I don't think we need all the
>> matches that Linux uses, but we can expand the table if we find it so.
>> Why have a stop gap that's a table that we kludge together when the
>> real table is of comparable difficulty and wouldn't need to be
>> reworked.
>
> Please let us together concentrate on getting other i2c devices working,
> like the Elan TouchPad, because I fear that newer Chromebooks are all
> equipped with this and not with the Cyapa anymore.

I see three tasks here:
  - Andriy finishes his change, moving things from smbus to iicbus, adding some workaround to keep the user experience like it is
  - Someone else implements the device table mechanism for auto detection
  - Someone else ports HDI over I2C to allow implementing drivers for devices like the elan touchpad Matthias is referring to

Makes sense?

-m