Re: CURRENT: re(4) crashing system

From: YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:00:04 +0900
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 07:03:38AM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 11:05:38 +0900
> YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > I'm not sure but it's likely the issue is related with EEE/Green
> > Ethernet handling. EEE is negotiated feature with link partner. If
> > you directly connect your laptop to non-EEE capable link partner
> > like other re(4) box without switches you may be able to tell
> > whether the issue is EEE/Green Ethernet related one or not.
>
> Me either since when I discovered a problem the first time with
> CURRENT, that was the Friday before last week's Friday, there was a
> unlucky coicidence: I got the new switch, FreeBSD introduced a serious
> bug and I changed the NICs.
>
> The laptop, the last in the row of re(4) equipted systems on which I
> use the Realtek NIC, does well now with Green IT technology, but
> crashes on plugging/unplugging - not on each event, but at least in one
> of ten.

Hmm, it seems you know how to trigger the issue. When you unplug
UTP cable was there active network traffic on re(4) device?
It would be helpful to know which event triggers the crash(e.g.
unplugging or plugging).  And would you show me backtrace of panic?

> I guess the Green IT issue is more a unlucky guess of mine and went
> hand in hand with the problem I face with CURRENT right now on some
> older, Non UEFI machines.

Ok.

[...]
> As requested the informations about re0 and rgephy0 on the laptop
> (Lenovo E540)
>
> [...]
>
> rgephy0: <RTL8251 1000BASE-T media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
> rgephy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 10baseT-FDX-flow, 100baseTX,
> 100baseTX-FDX, 100baseTX-FDX-flow, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master,
> 1000baseT-FDX-flow, 1000baseT-FDX-flow-master, auto, auto-flow
>
> re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port
> 0x3000-0x30ff mem 0xf0d04000-0xf0d04fff,0xf0d00000-0xf0d03fff at device
> 0.0 on pci2 re0: Using 1 MSI-X message re0: ASPM disabled
> re0: Chip rev. 0x50800000
> re0: MAC rev. 0x00100000

This looks like 8168GU controller.

[...]

> I use options netmap in kernel config, but the problem is also present
> without this option - just for the record.

Yup, netmap(4) has nothing to do with the crash.

Thanks.