Re: CURRENT: re(4) crashing system

From: Hartmann, O. <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 21:21:13 +0200
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:00:04 +0900
YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 07:03:38AM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 11:05:38 +0900
> > YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> [...]
>
> > > I'm not sure but it's likely the issue is related with EEE/Green
> > > Ethernet handling. EEE is negotiated feature with link partner. If
> > > you directly connect your laptop to non-EEE capable link partner
> > > like other re(4) box without switches you may be able to tell
> > > whether the issue is EEE/Green Ethernet related one or not.
> >
> > Me either since when I discovered a problem the first time with
> > CURRENT, that was the Friday before last week's Friday, there was a
> > unlucky coicidence: I got the new switch, FreeBSD introduced a
> > serious bug and I changed the NICs.
> >
> > The laptop, the last in the row of re(4) equipted systems on which I
> > use the Realtek NIC, does well now with Green IT technology, but
> > crashes on plugging/unplugging - not on each event, but at least in
> > one of ten.
>
> Hmm, it seems you know how to trigger the issue. When you unplug
> UTP cable was there active network traffic on re(4) device?
> It would be helpful to know which event triggers the crash(e.g.
> unplugging or plugging).  And would you show me backtrace of panic?
>
> > I guess the Green IT issue is more a unlucky guess of mine and went
> > hand in hand with the problem I face with CURRENT right now on some
> > older, Non UEFI machines.
> >

> Ok.
>
> [...]
> >
> > As requested the informations about re0 and rgephy0 on the laptop
> > (Lenovo E540)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > rgephy0: <RTL8251 1000BASE-T media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
> > rgephy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 10baseT-FDX-flow, 100baseTX,
> > 100baseTX-FDX, 100baseTX-FDX-flow, 1000baseT-FDX,
> > 1000baseT-FDX-master, 1000baseT-FDX-flow,
> > 1000baseT-FDX-flow-master, auto, auto-flow
> >
> > re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet>
> > port 0x3000-0x30ff mem 0xf0d04000-0xf0d04fff,0xf0d00000-0xf0d03fff
> > at device 0.0 on pci2 re0: Using 1 MSI-X message re0: ASPM disabled
> > re0: Chip rev. 0x50800000
> > re0: MAC rev. 0x00100000
>
> This looks like 8168GU controller.
>
> [...]
>
> > I use options netmap in kernel config, but the problem is also
> > present without this option - just for the record.
> >

> Yup, netmap(4) has nothing to do with the crash.
>
> Thanks.

Attached, you'll find the backtrace of the crash. This time it was
really easy - just one pull of the LAN cabling - and we are happy :-/

Please let me know if you need something else. I will return to normal
operations (disabling debugging) due to CURRENT is very unstable at the
moment on other hosts beyond r307157.

Kind regards,

oh