Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:06:49 -0700
On 9/20/16 9:24 AM, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:12:44AM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:
>> As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
>>
>> In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of today.
>>
>> Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>>
>> -M

> I just picked up a Skylake i5 NUC (NUC6i5SYH) and was looking for help on what
> I need to do to tryout the driver support for Skylake on it.
>
> Currently I have FreeBSD-current (as of a couple of days ago) running on it.
> I've read through most of the emails here discussing drm-next support but I'm
> not at all clear on where to start? What do I need to do/get?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Bob,
Here is the wiki for the work that mmacy_at_ and others are working on that
describes how to get started:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki

This should have enough info to get started on your end with.  Briefly
you will need to close that git repository and at the least build and
install the kernel from those sources (I've been running the
world+kernel from there w/o any issues on my Skylake system).

There is also a section on installing a new pkg repository that has
updated Xorg and other binaries that are required for this new code to work.

Hope this helps!
-pete

--
Pete Wright