Re: [tzsetup] can't set up local timezone if CMOS is set to UTC

From: Marius Strobl <marius_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 23:48:11 +0200
On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 09:51:15AM +0300, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> 07.08.2017 09:44, Boris Samorodov ?????:
> > Hi Marius, All,
> >
> > Subj at today's amd64-HEAD. If I use command "sudo tzsetup" and
> > choose YES (CMOS clock is set to UTC), the program just quits.
> > Yea, my clocks are at UTC but I want to get time at local timezone. :-)
> >
> > I've found a recent commit to tzsetup, is it the cause?
>
> Hm. There is a log message at r322097:
> ---
> - Make the initial UTC dialog actually work by giving the relevant files
>    the necessary treatment and then exit when choosing "Yes" there instead
>    of moving on to the time zone menu regardless.
> ---
>
> I must misunderstand something.
>
> So my question is: how to set up local time zone if CMOS is set to UTC?

Yeah, I hadn't thought of the case where one would like to set up
a configuration in which the RTC is using UTC but the timezone is
not. So I've reverted the corresponding part of r322097 for now as
I don't see an obvious way to give /etc/wall_cmos_clock appropriate
treatment in all 3 relevant cases (UTC/UTC, !UTC/UTC and !UTC/!UTC
regarding RTC/timezone) for all interactive and non-interactive
ways of using tzsetup(8).

Marius