Re: /usr/obj is 11GB huge on FreeBSD 12-current

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 04:02:43 -0800
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 10:12:09AM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded a machine from 11-stable to 12-current. The /usr/obj tree
> is now 11GB huge:
>
> FreeBSD 12-current
> $ du -hs /usr/obj
>  11G /usr/obj
>
> on FreeBSD 11-stable it was less the size:
> $ du -hs /usr/obj
> 5.6G /usr/obj
>
> this is a problem when you have a small VM with 20GB disk space or less.
>
> Is there a way to use less /usr/obj disk space during build? I know
> that we have to do some bootstrapping for newer compiler tools, but
> does we need to keep all temp files during the build?

There was a change near the beginning of November; please see UPDATING
entry 20171101 -- you probably have several no-longer-used
subdirectories under /usr/obj/usr/src/.

Once those are cleared out, my experience (tracking stable/11 & head in
different slices on the same machines) is that stbale/11 is using about
5.0G, while head uses about 6.1G.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
The US "cannot afford" Trump as President or Roy Moore in the Senate.