Re: [Help] Linux low level data structures < - > FreeBSD low level data structures

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 14:19:18 -0700
Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org write on Sun Jun 4 16:09:25 UTC 2017:

> I recently found a
> piece of code in a header file, which works with GCC and causes a
> panic() when compiled with clang. I reported it to one of the Linux
> kernel team members and they didn't care about it. Even if you get
> everything compiling it doesn't it will work

I do not know if it would help anyone but I'm aware of one linux
distribution for x86_64 that uses clang instead of gcc as the
main compiler: OpenMandriva Lx .

https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/3.01/Release_Notes says:

> OpenMandriva decided to give a go for a switch to LLVM/clang 3.9.1 as
> the default compiler, and finally has replaced GCC. Over 90% of
> packages in our main repository are built with LLVM/clang.

It reports kernels 4.9.0 and 4.1.18 nrJQL. Downloads are
of the current version at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmandriva/files/release/3.01/3.01.1/

but there is only the x86_64 variant there.

As I understand being clang based started with V3.0 .

Notes:

There is an earlier clang-based release for
i586 (V3.0). (V3.0 was apparently kernel 4.6.5
based.) See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMandriva_Lx
and:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmandriva/files/release/3.0/

There is a 2015-03-02 release for the Raspberry-Pi 2 but
it appears to have been someone's one-off experiment
rather than a regular build/release:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.openmandriva.cooker.devel/4841

It likely predates clang as the main compiler.

I have no clue if the said header file's code is valid or not vs.
if clang has a problem or not --or some mix. But checking the file's
content as used in/for OpenMandriva Lx and the related material in
the source for the clang OpenMandriva Lx uses might give additional
clues about whatever issues are involved.

I've never installed or used OpenMandriva Lx. But if a question of
comparison to clang use on FreeBSD vs. Linux ever came up it would
seem to be a candidate for use in making the comparison -- at least
when amd64/x86_64 is a useful context for the comparison.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net