Re: r319971 -> r320351: Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread'

From: Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:48:58 +0200
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:00:48 +0200
"O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:26:08 +0200
> Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:29:47 +0200
> > "O. Hartmann" <o.hartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Over the past week we did not update several 12-CURRENT running development
> > > hosts, so today is the first day of performing this task.
> > >
> > > First I hit the very same problem David Wolfskill reported earlier, a fatal
> > > trap 12, but fowllowing the thread, I did as advised: removing /usr/obj
> > > completely (we use filemon/WITH_META_MODE=YES all over the place) and
> > > recompiling world and kernel.
> > >
> > > Since tag 20170617 in /usr/src/UPDATING referred to the INO64 update and the
> > > INO64 update hasn't performed so far starting from r319971, I installed the
> > > kernel, rebooted the box in single user mode (this time smoothly), did a
> > > mergemaster and tried to do "make installworld" - but the box instantanously
> > > bails out:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line 392 in
> > > file /usr/src/lib/libthread/thr_init.c
> > > pid 60 (cc) uid0: exited on signal 6 ...
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > That way, I obviously can not install a world :-(
> > >
> > > What is wrong here? Is the problem resovable?
> > >

> > How recent was your last update?  Some changes were made just a few
> > hours ago to fix a stack growth problem in threads.
>
> Well, what do you mean by "...  source is not up to date ..."?
> Performing an svn update of /usr/src should suffice, shouldn't
> it?  If not, then ...  please correct me.  I think the sources
> are up to date as of the moment the bug occured.
>
> I consider the sources up to date, it is on the latest updated
> box r320355.

You did not explicitly state in the orignal post at which SVN
revison your code was.  Seems to me that my question was
reasonable.

Now it's clear that your source should have been up to date.

Just for the record, I just booted a kernel from SVN r320357 which
immediately resulted in a kernel panic.  I had to delete everything
under /usr/obj/usr/src/sys to get a working kernel.

--
Gary Jennejohn