Re: CURRENT: FreeBSD not reporting AES-NI on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:38:16 -0700
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:31:11 +0100 "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote

> Am Fri, 17 Mar 2017 20:07:35 +0300
> Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru> schrieb:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 05:53:24PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:

> > > Intel(R) > > Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 _at_ 3.50GHz CPU makes me some trouble.

> > > feature, which > > is supposed to be a feature of this type of CPU:

> > > What do you mean? I do not understand! FreeBSD is supposed to read the
> > > CPUID and therefore the capabilities as every other OS, too. But there
> > > may some circumstances why FBSD won't. I do not know, that is the reason
> > > why I'm asking here.   >
> > This sample can have disabled AES-NI by vendor, in BIOS, for example.
> > As I show by links this is posible.
> >
> > CPUID in you example don't show AES-NI capabilities, for example
> > 1650v4 w/ AES-NI
> >
> > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 _at_ 3.60GHz (3600.07-MHz K8-class CPU)
> >   Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x406f1  Family=0x6  Model=0x4f  Stepping=1

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
> >   CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x7ffefbff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,S

DBG,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESN
> >   I,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
> >

> >                                 ^^^^^^ AMD

Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM> >   AMD
> >                                 Features2=0x121<LAHF,ABM,Prefetch> >
> >                                 Structured Extended >

Features=0x21cbfbb<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,P
> >                                 QM,NFPUSG,PQE,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,PROCTRACE> >
> >                                 XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT> VT-x:
PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID,VID,PostIntr
> >   TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
> >
> > In you sample: "TSCDLT,XSAVE"
> >
> > May be AES-NI disabled by vendor and FreeBSD correct show this. Or some bug
> > in FreeBSD, AES-NI work and other OS show AES-NI capabilities.

> We have some LGA1151 XEON based 19 inch rack server, also equipted with
> Haswell E3-12XX-v3 XEONs and FreeBSD, also CURRENT, does show AES-NI.
>
> You're right, the vendor could have disabled AES-NI by intention - but they
> offered this box especially with AES-NI capabilities.
>
> See here:
>

> http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/r285947-broken-AESNI-support-No-aesni0-o
> n-Intel-XEON-E5-1650-v3-on-Fujitsu-Celsius-M740-td6028895.html
>
> I feel a bit pissed off right now due to Fujitsu, because we started testing
> some encrypting features and I'd like to use AES-NI and I run into this issue
> again.
>
> I need to know that FreeBSD is not the issue with this specific CPU type. I'm
> still frustrated by that stupid comment "UNIX is not supoorted" I got that
> time then when I reported 2015 the issue to Fujitsu.
FWIW
It *does* for me - altho an AMD, not INTEL

# cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep AES

Features2=0x3e98320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,
AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>
^^^^^

HTH

--Chris