Re: Are textmode consoles/terminals still supported?

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:16:39 -0700
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 18:36:45 +0100 "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote

> Am Mon, 20 Mar 2017 16:06:43 -0700
> "Chris H" <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com> schrieb:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:02:06 +0000 Steven Hartland
> > <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk> wrote
> >
> > > Add the following to /boot/loader.conf
> > >
> > > Its a tunable but not a sysctl so you can't query it, you just need to
> > > set it by adding it to /boot/loader.conf:
> > > hw.vga.textmode="1"
> > >
> > WOW. Thanks for the fast reply!
> >
> > I gave your suggestion a try. But it was ignored. :-(
> > All my other boxes run the nvidia blob, and provide textmode,
> > and support sc/syscons(4). But I'm not using (u)efi on them.
> > Maybe that's the trouble?
> >
> > Thanks again, Steven!
> >
> > --Chris

> > > device >

> I use non-UEFI booting machines with vt()-only and the nVidia BLOB (regular
> one from ports and even the latest 378.13). The console is not working
> anymore and provides garbage as long as vt() is in charge. On UEFI only
> systems, vt() is required, sc/syscons doesn't work anymore (I don't care, I'd
> like to move on). So, with nVidia, you are lost.
>
> The problem with vt() and nVidia is well known and it is well known more than
> a year by now if I recall correctly. Nothing has been done by nVidia so far
> and as far as I know, the maintainer hasn't solved the problem. I do not know
> whether nVidia is willing to solve the issue. I left an question in their
> forum, but it seems FreeBSD is more handled like a "unpleasant necessity". On
> the other hand, GPU and such related stuff (GPGPU for instance) is a
> wasteland in FreeBSD and it seems their world is still made up from blocky
> ASCII terminals. Not that I dislike serial terminals, they save your ass
> sometimes and for server management, one doesn't really need the additional,
> non-fault-free complexity graphical UI introduce, but with the capabilities
> of handling graphics the proper way much more is usually related to.
>
> nVidia is, at the moment, the only GPU provider which supports FreeBSD. If
> you'd like to have a workstation with high performance graphical capabilities
> on FreeBSD, there is no way around nVidia. With most recent modern hardware,
> UEFI is standard and there the console is gone as long the nVidia kernel
> module is loaded - you have no chance to get to the console anymore, except
> you're capable of unloading (remotely?) the kernel module. As a matter of
> fact, the system is broken!
>
> Regards,
>
> Oliver
A *huge* thanks, Oliver, for taking the time to describe the
situation so well -- even if I don't like the answer. ;-)

OK that pretty much explains what I'm experiencing. Looks
like the only I can get a decent text-based console/terminal;
will be to write syscons(4) back into FreeBSD, myself.
I thought things were intended to get better, as time goes on.
But IMHO it seems like things are simply being removed, which
only makes things worse. I know "whiney/trollish" but damnit,
I'm frustrated, and judging by the mailing lists, and bugzuilla;
others are too.

Thanks again, Oliver. I greatly appreciate your taking the time
you did!

--Chris