Re: Ssh.. can we please have HPN back?

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 21:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
> So after stripping out the HPN version of ssh from our product becasue
> "it was no longer needed" we dicovered that we were premature in doing so.
> Apparently ssh still really needs HPN to get any throughput at all when
> there are latencies involved.
>

> For example, with HPN we get 13MB/sec between the Azure US west
> Data center and the Azure East data center.But the standard ssh in 10.3
> (with HPN stripped out) can barely manage 2MB/sec transfers.
>
> I did ask at the time whether it was proved that the new ssh didn't
> require the HPN changes,
> and was assured, "no" but it would appear that the picture isn't as clear.
> tht seems silly to have to import the port when we have what would
> otherwise be a
> perfectly good ssh as part of hte system, and it's really annoying
> having to specify
> /usr/local/bin/scp  or /usr/local/bin/ssh in every script.
>
> So can we please have the latest version of the HPN changes back in
> the default system please?
> It seem rather odd that the upstream openssh has had this problem for
> SO LONG and not fixed it.

Allan Jude has recently done a bunch of work on this though I do
not know its current status of being either upstreamed (I know
some of it well not be accepted from conversations with Allan)
or commited to the tree.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org