Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
>
> Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
>
> For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> elf64_loadimage: read failed
> can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
>
> SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> other available options with the same result).
>
> VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this version
> of ESXi.
> Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I didn't
> found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play with when
> I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced to use.

Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.

And what image are you trying to boot from?
Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
is it a file on the server?

I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.

I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org