Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 10:32:13 +0300
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >

> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> > VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
> >
> > Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> > Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
> >
> > For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> > /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> > elf64_loadimage: read failed
> > can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> > (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
> >
> > SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> > other available options with the same result).
> >
> > VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this
> > version of ESXi.
> > Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I
> > didn't found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play
> > with when I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced
> > to use.
>
> Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.

The WM is set:
Firmware: BIOS.
Boot Delay: 0ms
Force BIOS setup: No
Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual machine fails to find a boot device
EFI Secure Boot: Disabled

> And what image are you trying to boot from?
> Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
> is it a file on the server?

I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server, didn't
even tried from the client.

> I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.

I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.

> I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.

Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

--
IOnut

---