Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
> "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> > > VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
> > >
> > > Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> > > Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
> > >
> > > For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> > > /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> > > elf64_loadimage: read failed
> > > can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> > > (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
> > >
> > > SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> > > other available options with the same result).
> > >
> > > VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this
> > > version of ESXi.
> > > Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I
> > > didn't found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play
> > > with when I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced
> > > to use.
> >
> > Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.
>
> The WM is set:
> Firmware: BIOS.
> Boot Delay: 0ms
> Force BIOS setup: No
> Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual machine fails to find a boot device
> EFI Secure Boot: Disabled

Those all look good from my experience.

> > And what image are you trying to boot from?
> > Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
> > is it a file on the server?
>
> I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server, didn't
> even tried from the client.

Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.

Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
release ISO either i386 or amd64?

I know that installs as I have done that many times.

> > I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.
>
> I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.

I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.

> > I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.
>
> Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
> running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org