Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
> "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > > The WM is set:
> > > Firmware: BIOS.
> > > Boot Delay: 0ms
> > > Force BIOS setup: No
> > > Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual
> > > machine fails to find a boot device EFI Secure Boot: Disabled
> >
> > Those all look good from my experience.

> > > I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server,
> > > didn't even tried from the client.
> >
> > Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.
> >
> > Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
> > bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
> > release ISO either i386 or amd64?
> >
> > I know that installs as I have done that many times.
>
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
> Tried this one after 11.1 failed FreeBSD-10.4-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
>
> I just downloaded the FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso from the
> data store and checked the sha256 against the one on the ftp site and
> it's OK, so except if vshpere somehow corrupts files on upload and
> fixes them on download I think the image is OK.

And of somewhat known status, I usually use the disc1, but that
should not matter... unless the dvd emulation is scewing things
up.  But the bootonly.iso should be fine, that is under 700MB

> > > I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.
> >
> > I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.

> > > Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
> > > running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106
> >
> > It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
> > time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
> > booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
> > any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.
>
> I relocated the VM on one of the 6.5.0 hosts (just the VM, not anything
> else) and got the same result trying to boot the 10.4R boot-only ISO).
> Would it make any diff if I create the VM from scratch on that host?

Um, moving .vmx files around between versions of vsphere has to be
done with a good deal of care, and given your having "issues" to
start with I would not add that complexity to this problem.

Create an new empty vm on 6.5.0, and use HW level 8, that is portable
accross 5.5 to 6.5.

Also try sticking with ONLY IDE disks and cdrom, that might
be causing an issue.

Then if it fails send me the .vmx file for the VM so I can look at
it for differences in what I am using to seeing.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org