Re: snapshot of april 12th wont boot at all

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 09:52:21 -0500
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Beeblebrox <zaphod_at_berentweb.com> wrote:
> I have (possibly) similar problem, running kernel from March 29 as
> fall-back (older kernel, latest world).
>
> * OS: HardenedBSD-12 on amd64 Athlon II X3 460
> * Kernels built yesterday: MYKERN & HARDENEDBSD (GENERIC with Debug).
>   Both kernels fail. No errors encountered during buildworld/kernel.
>   World installs normally.
> * Boot process: Grub -> /boot/loader -> Kernel Selection. No EFI (MBR).
>   Grub has own partition (ext2fs), /boot/loader on ZFS.
> * zpool: Striped on 2 HDD's, scrub returns clean pool.
>
> FAILURE POINT: System freeze, completely unresponsive, requires hard
> reset.
> * Initially seems like failure is at "Mount Root from zpool/ROOT/bsd".
>   Further inspection of dmesg shows garbled text at services stage
>   (start reading /etc/rc.conf)
> * /etc/rc.conf: Everything disabled for bug hunting. Cause does not
>   seem related to linux / radeonkms either.
> * Selecting "Safe Mode" (kern.smp.disabled ?) gets me to single-user
>   mode, and later multi-user but system freezes as soon as I login.
>   Not 100% sure about this behaviour though, as I have been at it since
>   early morning yesterday.
> * Have not tried with ACPI disabled. Dmesg: Firmware Warning (ACPI):
>   32/64X length mismatch in FADT/Gpe0Block: 64/32 (20180313/tbfadt-748)
>
> There was a recent bug involving databases failing to start due to
> "limits: NO: No such file or directory". I have Mariadb-Server-100
> installed with the new patch for this bug. I wonder whether these two
> could be related?

I can't speak much to the rest of your e-mail, but as far as this last
bit goes: the bug you're referencing would've just failed to start the
database server because `limits` was passed an invalid argument. If
you have filesystem access, you can confirm this by setting
mariadb_limits="" in your rc.conf(5)