Re: CURRENT from today throws lots of ACPI errors, lost HDMI detection

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 21:19:30 -0700
On 8/14/18 9:06 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

>>> i did attempt to set that in loader.conf - and it progressed farther
>>> but
>>> kernel panic'd when trying to bring up my iwn wireless interface.
>>>
>> Interesting... out of side curiosity, what does this panic look like?
>> Can you also try running a kernel >= r337773 with kib's patch from [1]
>> applied to make sure this the EFI part of this isn't already solved?
>
> sure i can give that a spin.
>

>>> i'm building an older version in an attempt to bisect this issue (i
>>> have a
>>> skylake system running a checkout from monday without issues, so
>>> testing
>>> that now).  if i am still running into problems i'll boot with
>>> efi.rt.disabled=1 and will post the gdb panic string here.
>>>
>> Excellent.
>
> so i have reverted back to this git hash:
> 90f37b39e4a
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/90f37b39e4ad481d3e5a059123f7d68ac153f0c5
>

> and i can confirm that i am able to boot with EFI enabled, do not
> experience any issues bringing up my iwn interface and HDMI is
> recognized according to xrandr.  so that solves my immediate problem!
> :)  interestingly enough i still see the ACPI errors I reported
> earlier, but perhaps that is a red herring.
>
> i'll go back to the tip of master and apply kib's patch and see how it
> goes.

ok great (thank's ccache for making buildkernel fast :) )

so after applying the patch from kib i have the same behavior as i'm
seeing on git hash 90f37b39e4a.

i.e. boots fine with UEFI enabled, iwn interface comes up, HDMI output
is detected by xrandr and interesting ACPI warning messages.

i'll dogfood this patch tomorrow when i get into the office and validate
connecting my HDMI display works as expected and will report any other
issues i bump into.

thanks for your help Kyle!  I didn't think to test kib's patch as i was
assuming my issue was related to the ACPI errors, but this seems to get
me back to where i need to be to work tomorrow so i'm good to go :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete_at_nomadlogic.org