Re: Sharing compiled builds between multiple 12-CURRENT boxes.

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 16:59:25 -0700
On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 12:34:20AM +0200, Dhananjay Balan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run 12-CURRENT on few machines, some more powerful that other (all
> of them x86_64, march varies).
>
> Is there is a way to avoid building CURRENT on all machines? Rather
> than building everywhere, can I just build it on the big server that I
> have and copy and update my laptop?

There are ways (note plural) to do this kind of thing, yes.  Depending
on a lot of factors, some may be more feasible than others.

While the machines for which I do something similar run stable (at
present, stable/11), I believe that the approach I use, and which is
described at <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/upgrade.html> may
(at least) be a useful case study.  There is also a log (of sorts) of
the successful updates at
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/history/>.

Note that I explicitly avoid optimizations that would not work for all
of the machines in question.  That's probably obvious, but.... :-)

As Cy Schubert pointed out, paths need to be set up to look identical;
setting that up initially may be a little more "interesting" than one
might prefer, but in my experience, once that's done, things Just Work
(at least, using the approach I use).

I'll skip trying to mention other approaches, as I don't actually use
them.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Trump is gaslighting us: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44959300