Re: Native Encryption for ZFS on FreeBSD CFT

From: Thomas Caputi <tcaputi_at_datto.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 23:21:53 -0400
> That doesn't answer the question about what happens when dedup is turned off.  In that case, is the HMAC still used as the IV?  If so, then watermarking attacks are still possible.

Quoting the comment from the code above: "For non-dedup blocks we
derive the IV randomly". When dedup is enabled, we do leak this
information, but the dedup table already leaks that information
anyway. The dedup table needs to be in plaintext so that we can repair
it even when keys are not loaded. This is a known and documented trade
off of using encryption + dedup.

> Only encrypting L0 blocks also leaks a lot of information.  That means that, if encryption is set to anything but "off", watermarking attacks will still be possible based on the size and sparsity of a file.  Because I believe that with any encryption mode, ZFS turns continuous runs of zeros into holes

First of all, with encryption=off, watermarking attacks are really
quite easy :). The information that can be gained about a file from
ZFS by looking at the raw disk are:

1) The size of the file (rounded up to the nearest sector size):
Almost all applications that encrypt data will leak the approximate
size of the protected payload.

2) The locations of holes within a file: ZFS does not turn runs of
zeros into holes if you have compression off. However, data that is
never written is maintained as a hole (ie if you never write any data
to block 3 of a file). You are correct that technically this is a
small leak of information, but we decided while designing the
encryption scheme that the performance and space savings are worth it
here. Is this enough information to be an attack vector? I would argue
not, but if you are paranoid you could always turn compression off and
fill in all the holes of your files with zeros.

3) If dedup is on, you can see which blocks have deduped against other
blocks within a clone family. Encrypted dedup only works within
applications that share the same master encryption key, which is
essentially just snapshots and clones of snapshots. You cannot write
data to one encrypted dataset and analyze the dedup tables to see i
the data you wrote deduped against another dataset's data.

4) If compression + encryption is on a CRIME attack is possible, but
in almost every scenario this attack is impractical. It requires the
filesystem to have the key loaded, an application that appends a
secret to the data controlled by an attacker, the attacker requires
root access to the running system (to read the raw disk without
rebooting and unloading the encryption key), and the attacker needs to
be able to do many iterations of writing this attacker + secret data
to disk and checking the resulting plaintext.

During the implementation of native ZFS encryption we evaluated these
and came to the conclusion that the security risks here are easily
outweighed by the usability and performance benefits. If you have any
further questions about the design, feel free to email me again or
take a look at the (largely diagram based) docs on the implementation:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1km-z3MVNHYwlQLY6yEC3iq-TD05eredH9Ih4umGdkJw/edit?usp=sharing