Re: drm / drm2 removal in 12

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:28:42 +0200
Hi Owen

I'm truly sorry you feel this way about our work.

At first I was thinking "I'm not going to feed the troll" but after giving
what you're writing some more thought it seems maybe you have misunderstood
some things that I want to clarify to make sure there's no misunderstanding
by you or any one else reading this.

There are almost 30,000 ports now in the ports tree. Many are ported from
various operating systems. Many are from Linux, GPL'd and in most cases we
depend on them for running the graphical desktop of our choice on FreeBSD.

However, these ports are all optional. You don't have to install any of
them if you don't want to, this includes the new generation GPU drivers and
LinuxKPI.  Linux is not "moving in to" the FreeBSD kernel.

For those of you who want a "pure" BSD experience, running without X is
just fine, or finding a pure BSD solution if one exists. For those who
don't want Linux derived graphics drivers (which by the way the ones in
sys/dev/drm2/ also are), nothing is forcing you to use them. Vesa of scfb
works beautifully for a software rendered graphical user interface. Nvidia
provides a native driver for FreeBSD if you have their hardware.

CURRENT breaks sometimes, not only because of graphics. This is the nature
of bleeding edge but we work hard to keep breakage to a minimal. For those
of you who wish to run a more stable system, use a stable release.

The graphics team at FreeBSD has new members and we're still trying to find
our way regarding release schedule, support and other things. It's still a
WIP and the road has been bumpy. There is still a lot to do for us to catch
up and be able to provide a consistent experience for everyone.

Again, we're doing the best we can with the resources we have. There's no
way the few developers we have could develop and maintain native GPU
drivers, spanning 20 years on three different hardware platforms.
Especially considering how fast moving target the graphics hardware is.

I know nothing I say matters to you, Owen, but your comments are quite
extreme and contain false doomsday propaganda.. This mail is more to
provide some information from the graphics team for anyone reading this so
they don't fall for false propaganda.